How TotallyAwesome helped Pizza Hut increase sales by 14% during the FIFA World Cup through our gaming solutions
In December 2022, the FIFA World Cup became a battleground for Quick Service Restaurant brands as traditional media spaces were cluttered with their ads and promotions. This created an unexpected marketing challenge for the annual Cheesy Poppers Pizza campaign – the fight for maximum share of voice.
TotallyAwesome teamed up with Dentsu Creative Malaysia and Carat Malaysia to help Pizza Hut:
- Change the playing field from traditional media channels to mobile football games
- Drive brand awareness with gamers who are football fans – a passionate and untapped audience who loved to recreate score lines of live matches in the virtual world
- Build brand preference and win share of voice for Cheesy Poppers Pizza through relevant touch points
Through our TotallyPlay gaming solutions, we were able to build brand awareness and a desire for Cheesy Poppers Pizza using the following:
- TotallyAwesome’s youth-first gaming research & insights:
- 57% of 18 to 35 are gamers, of which 80% visit a quick service restaurant at least once a week
- They spend an average of 5 hours a day on mobile devices where they game individually or with their real-life friends
- Increased downloads of mobile football games over the years – nearly 1.2 million active gamers (and climbing)
- Real-time conversations with real-time conversions:
- Every time a goal was scored on live TV, a unique Cheese Code dropped on dynamic A-boards in mobile football games. Gamers could simply tap on the board to order limited-edition pizza combos in real life.
- The codes were created by combining player names with pizza toppings: MBAPPEPPERONI, CRISPIANO, MEZZIRELLA, NEYMARINARA, MODRICHILI, and so many more.
- Best-in-class in-game media suppliers:
- TotallyAwesome deployed targeted in-game display and rewarded video ads with the unique Cheese Code in Malaysia’s top football game titles such as FIFA, Top Eleven, Football Cup, Football Manager and Football League.
- These games were sourced from leading in-game suppliers like Bidstack and Gadsme and were handpicked & curated by TotallyAwesome based on Malaysia’s football gaming affinity.
Brands that seize moments of engagement with real-time contextual brand experiences can captivate consumers during crucial purchase moments. Through TotallyAwesome’s non-intrusive in-game ad experience, the campaign broke through the media chaos with increased attention and engagement.
Increase in Orders
Active Gaming Hours
Rewarded Video Ads
In-game Display Ads
Join our Conversation
TotallyAwesome Showcase examines what makes Youth-first marketing campaigns successful. If you would like to learn more on how we can add value to your Youth-first marketing campaigns, reach out via firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on LinkedIn for more updates.
TotallyAwesome: your Youth-first specialist marketing and media platform. Connecting brands with youth in a safe, relevant and effective way.
Kunal Roy – Chief Executive Officer, Dentsu Creative Malaysia
Andrew Low – Group Chief Creative Officer
Sid Nair – Creative Director
Camilia Johari – Copywriter
Diyanah Poedjo – Designer
Rafique Ramleh – Senior Strategic Planner
Nicholas Corneilius – Social Media Director
Janine Wai – Business Director
Szen Li Cheam – Assistant Digital PR Manager
Amy Maisara Abdul Rahman – Senior Digital PR Executive
Claudia Monteiro – Senior Digital PR Executive
Wai Kin Ng – Senior Producer
Michelle Loo – Producer
Najwan Danil-Taridi – Motion Graphics Designer
Winnie Chen-Head – Partner, Head of Product & Growth, Carat
Vanitha Selvathurai – Partner, Head of Carat
Mohamed Salim – Head of Strategy, Carat
Manpreet Kaur – Director, Client Leadership, Carat
Man Shin Yeong – Senior Executive, Media Planning, Carat
Gary Fung – Regional Gaming Director
Accounts – Kieu Nguyen, Destinee Koh, Mitchel Vaz, Van Vo, Eleen Tay
Matt Blackholler – Director
Grace Cooke – Head of Operations
Antoine Clairet - Head of Demand
Eashen Rhodes – Head of Supply
Pizza Hut Malaysia
Emily Chong – Chief Marketing Officer
Jacelyn Lim – Assistant Brand Manager